ABOUT US PAGE
It's one of the most important elements on a company's website and also one of the most undervalued: the ubiquitous "About Us" page—that section on your site that collects virtual dust because you haven't bothered to write it.
You may not be paying it much attention, but visitors to your site are.
How to Design a Great "About Us" Page: Make the Human Connection
The primary purpose of your site's About Us page is to provide information about your business and what it can deliver, so it should include the basics, such as who your company serves, how long it's been around, and its long-term goals and mission.
By incorporating a few strategic components, you can go beyond the yawn-inducing jargon. Simple tactics can make your About Us page a more exciting read and your company seem more accessible.
It all starts with compelling content and a conversational tone. Instead of treating it like a boring writing assignment, think about how you would tell your story to someone if you were speaking with them face-to-face.
Make sure your About Us page gives potential customers what they need to feel comfortable choosing you.
Start with the customer's needs. Forget what you do. Customers don't care about what you do; they care about what they receive: solutions and benefits.
Customers want to know the names and faces. Who’s on the team? What do they do? What are their backgrounds? What are their qualifications? Do they belong to professional organizations?
Use real photos. Always use photos of real people and places. If you can't, don't use any photos.
What Your Fans Are Saying? In the B2B world, customer testimonials can be very effective additions to your About Us page to help you build rapport with potential clients. So it makes sense to have a page dedicated to the good words your favorite customers have to say about your company. However, it’s still a good idea for your potential customers to see your B2B e-commerce in a positive light when they’re reading your story.
Update, Update, Update! One of the worst things that can happen is for your potential customers to get information that’s outdated or no longer accurate. The info on your About Us page should also match up with your messaging and your products. Take some time every couple months to check that the details on your About Us page are still applicable and correct.
CRAFTING YOUR "ABOUT US" STORY
To create engaging 'About Us' content for your business website, start by answering 3-5 questions from the list below.
1. How did you get started? This is where you get a chance to tell visitors to your business website how and why you exist—the perfect beginning to your creation story.
2. Where did you get the idea for your business? That “aha” moment when you realized you might be able to turn that hobby, dream or passion into a viable business and something you hoped your customers would absolutely love.
3. What’s the story behind your products? How are they made? Designed? Give people a peek behind the curtain so they can get a true sense of the craftsmanship that’s involved in bringing your creations to life.
4. Where do you look for your creative inspiration? Travel? Nature? Music? Family? Friends? This is where you have a chance to form more of a personal connection with your audience by sharing a little bit about your creative process.
5. What’s your background? Here you can establish instant credibility by talking about your professional and personal experience as it relates to your business.
6. What’s your vision for your business? It’s easy to get excited about a small business that has dreams and aspirations about where they’d like to be 5-10 years from now.
7. What motivates you? What gives you that fire in the belly—the thing that makes you hop out of bed bright and early each and every morning to work on?